Monday, September 30, 2013

Murder in the US Vs. England

This will seem silly but it's the kind of thing that occupies my brain. Last night I couldn't sleep and this entire blog took over my thoughts.

First, I'm not talking actual murder. I'm talking fiction, both literary and in film/tv. It goes way back! I'll start with my favorite author, Edgar Allan Poe. He was an American author who's tales usually featured someone who becomes fixated on taking the life of someone else. This person accomplishes the deed and then slides down a twisting, turning, slippery slide of insanity until they are revealed as the murderer. 

This template is somewhat followed throughout American story telling right down to modern tv where we have shows like CSI, Law and Order, and Bones. These shows almost always feature a murder that is the focus of the entire episode until the bad guy is discovered and arrested. 

Now to my second favorite author, Agatha Christie. Christie is our English template. Here tales usually feature a murder that brings in the investigators. The murderer in these tales is different from their American counterparts though. The English murderer feels a need to cover up the crime, not content to hide in the shadows, this murderer sets about picking off everyone in town. I think of it like they are leaving a trail of breadcrumbs (bodies) for the police to follow right to their door. 

This, English, template is followed in English tv shows like Wire in the Blood, Midsomer Murders, and Inspector Morse. In these shows the police (usually) go in to investigate one murder and end up with several before they finally catch the bad guy. 

Now that isn't to say it is the only way it goes for either side! The US has shows like Criminal Minds where the focus is on serial killers. The difference is the police go in knowing it's a serial and that multiple bodies are expected by all. I'm not as familiar with British tv, though I love it and watch all the mysteries I can find on Netflix, so I can't name a counterpart across the pond though I'm sure one exists. 

Don't think I'm putting any kind of stereotype on anyone! Please! This is all in fun =D. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting ideas.
    Right now I am drawn to "The Bridge", which I learned is based on a Scandinavian hit "Broen". Just saw the original version w/ subtitles that was big in UK. I can see why an American version was made. I relate so much more to the American version. The noises, the way things are done, the political tensions that surround the US/Mexican relations. But the plot is breadcrumby. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too late to catch the Bridge on Hulu. I missed the first episode so I'll wait until they re-release it to Hulu or it comes on Netflix.

      I tend to prefer the UK versions of shows if the US decides to remake them. They can have the exact same script, but something about the acting, or actors, IDK. LOL

      These are just silly ideas that pop into my head when I'm trying to sleep. Hopefully once the pain is better I won't lie awake thinking up these goofy ideas. ;)

      Delete